It’s all a matter of perspective.
At a glance, we could call the year a bit of a write-off, an unsuccessful year, a quick glance back revealing not much at all. Or too much! Which is overwhelming.
But dig a little deeper. There’s a lot of intangible wins beneath the more tangible and obvious – and it really helps to find them!
I didn’t realise how important the podcast would become this year – not only for my listeners but for me also. And THIS podcast – my impromptu end-of-year episode is Super-Valuable, so rather than write on and on, I’m just going to drop it here and invite you to take a little time to listen – I’m SURE it will encourage you! Grab a pen and paper – or start noting in your phone – the thoughts that come to you as we pose some great questions and share our experiences. I love the episode cover art Lyndon created – it literally expresses the fun Janet and I had, and how we feel about the conversation.
Click play below to listen or find it on your favourite podcast platform.
Have you felt a little – or a lot – discouraged this year? Exhausted, traumatised, disappointed, frustrated? And like you didn’t accomplish what you wanted to? The conversation with Janet is a review of how we both have unique ways of wrapping up a year to step purposefully into the next one. I’ve shared these ideas in previous blogs and I’m so happy to help you personally find gold in the rubble of your 2022.
I know it’s easy to skim over questions like “what are you most proud of” – especially if you can’t see an answer immediately. And of course, if you can – if your year was full of accomplishments – it’s also easy to let them be a brief thought while raising a glass. However, taking time to reflect and dig deeper is SO valuable and can significantly deepen your appreciation for yourself and others, and your confidence and self-awareness. And if you have a tendency to be hard on yourself – try reflecting with an attitude of kindness and empathy towards yourself.
I’ll share a few more questions we discussed in case you’d rather read than listen – and I’ve since discussed these with my family at dinner this week – it was such a beautiful time of connection and exploring the ways we’ve grown this year. And the super-proud-mum moments – I might’ve shed a tear (or two) of gratitude. So – what are you proud of this year? What are you grateful for? Favourite moments of 2022? Surprising moments? How have you been courageous this year? How have you grown? What have you grieved? What did you – or will you now – let go of? And of course – what are you looking forward to?
Please contact me if you’d like to talk through anything that comes up for you.
I really, really want you to feel encouraged as you step into a new year. When we see things from a fresh perspective we can truly change our world.
Much love and cheering you on,
PS. I’m happy to share some of my wins if you’re curious – but really want to give you time for your own exploring!
- According to Spotify’s statistics (which is actually only 17% of my listeners – Apple takes the top spot at 36% but they don’t send me cute graphics of stats) my podcast is in the top 25% most shared globally – and 40% of shares were on Instagram! There’s more stats in the image below.
- I discovered that my courageous, vulnerable sharing with safe people took me into deeper learning and insight than I thought possible. I can rewrite the story of my life with more realism and empathy which actually makes me a better coach and friend. This journey continues with the support and questions of a specialist psychologist.
- My clients this year were an absolute joy to serve – as usual – and we met in boardrooms and cafes, on zoom of course, some took ocean walks and overnight retreats with me. Self-awareness, honesty and quality thinking at the core of our conversations. LOVED IT.
- I significantly reduced my coaching fees – because I want quality, neuroscience-based, brain-friendly coaching available to more people at a time it’s most needed. JUST ASK. And transform your world. Seriously.
- 18 years of coaching rolled around on 4 November. Still considering the impacts.
- I completed the Mental Health First Aid training and completed the certification.
- I took an inspiring bunch of women through the Positive Intelligence (PQ) Mental Fitness program as a certified PQ Coach (since 2020)
- I took a lot of time for regenerating on the beach, and with beautiful, safe people.
- I blocked 2 days in my calendar mid-week for days offline – every week – and I don’t think anyone missed me.
- I journaled a lot – no where near enough to capture the insights from the courageous conversations – but they’re all brewing away somehow…
- I began learning Spanish – the past 131 days in a row on Duolingo
- I was a guest lecturer for universities in the Philippines, and mentored entrepreneurship students
These are all a snapshot – the learning from all of these and more is still emerging/being unpacked. I’m a little amazed when I scroll through my podcast episodes – from the beginning – but especially this year. We went deep! With all kinds of amazing hearts – with stories from policing to prison, creative careers, military, motherhood and corporate life and sports and fitness. We covered so many countries and learned SO much together. So much gratitude for guests and listeners and sharers. We’re all better connectors. Thank YOU for being part of my world.